New requirement for Lawful Permanent Residents traveling to Canada

Effective March 15, 2016, the Canadian Border Service Agency ("CBSA") is now requiring all U.S. lawful permanent residents ("LPRs") who are visa exempt for Canada to sign-up for Electronic Travel Authorization ("eTA") prior to any travel to or through Canada by plane. LPRs travelling via land or sea, U.S. citizens, and foreign nationals with a valid Canadian visa are not subject to this new requirement. CBSA is allowing LPRs travelling by plane between March 15, 2016 and September 29, 2016 without eTA to board flights as long as they have appropriate travel documents, such as a valid passport, and meet all requirements to enter Canada.  After that LPRs must sign up for eTA prior to any travel.
To apply for eTA please visit: According to CBSA, the application process costs $7 CAD and most are approved within minutes of applying.